Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Power of Sleep

Ironic that I should be writing this post at midnight, I know, but sleep is a vital part of your overall health and well-being. Your cells rejuvenate while you are sleeping. Healing takes place while you are sleeping. Your hormones are regulated while you sleep. When you don't get enough sleep you face consequences far graver than feeling a little tired and needing an extra cup of coffee or an energy drink to get you going during the day, you are aging your body more quickly and possibly causing long term damage to your adrenal glands.



I could go on and on about all the reasons you need to get your "beauty sleep" (btw, they don't call it that for nothing), but then I wouldn't be getting the sleep I need to rejuvenate my cells now, would I?



Ideally, you should go to bed no later than 10:30pm and you should go to bed at around the same time every night. Try to aim for at least eight hours of uninterupted sleep per night. Of course there are times in life that you just can't seem to get enough sleep, like after having a new baby or when you have a project that has to be completed, but they point is to aim for consistency as much as possible and perhaps compensate for lost sleep with an occasional nap.



Here's to your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment